Tomato Sauce Recipe for Pasta Dishes
An easy and delicious tomato sauce recipe. You'll never open a jar again.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Half a medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- One 28 oz can diced tomatoes including the juice
- 1 pound dried pasta
- 1/2 cup freshly grated or purchased shaved Parmesan plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil for your pasta. Add salt to it.
2. Put the 3 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic when the oil is hot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir.
4. Cook the tomato mixture over medium low heat, or a heat setting where the sauce is bubbly but not boiling. Cook, stir occasionally until the tomato mixture breaks down and thickens up, 10 to 15 minutes. Taste the sauce and add more seasoning if needed.
5. Cook the pasta while the sauce is cooking. When the pasta is done, scoop out about a cup of cooking water and then drain the pasta.
6. Add a splash of the cooking water, a little drizzle of olive oil and the cooked pasta to the sauce and stir. You want the sauce to have a creamy texture, so add more cooking water if necessary. Taste and add more seasoning if needed.
7. Add the Parmesan cheese and basil and toss. Serve the dish with more cheese at the table if you'd like.
8. Serve, eat and enjoy!
This sauce freezes really well. Eat within 6 months.
Adapted from How to Cook Everything