A flavorful and simple to prepare stuffing recipe that will have your guests asking for more (and for the recipe).
Author: Julie @Mom Fabulous
1 1poundpackage of breakfast sausage
3stalks celerysliced thinly
2applesGranny Smith or Pink Lady - they need to be tart, cored and chopped
1tspsage or 1/4 cup fresh sage
12ozpackage of stuffing mix or 1 large baguette cut into 1/2 in piecesRoughly 7 cups
3cupslow-sodium chicken broth
For wet stuffing1 or 2 eggs.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch dish or a 3 qt. shallow casserole dish.
2. In a large skillet, cook the breakfast sausage. After it's cooked (about 8 minutes), using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a very large bowl.
3. To the sausage drippings in the skillet, add the 2 Tbsp of unsalted butter and melt. Add in the celery, onions, apples, sage, salt and pepper. Cook, tossing, until the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
4. Add the vegetable mixture you just cooked to the bowl of sausage. Add the bread, chicken broth (and eggs if using for a wetter stuffing) and gently toss to combine.
5. Transfer this mixture to your greased pan and cover with foil.
6. Bake covered for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes until browned.
For serving purposes, you can transfer this dish after it's done to a pretty serving bowl.