Caramel Apple Crisp in a Cast Iron Skillet
A warm, comforting, easy to prepare dessert that will satisfy everyone's sweet tooth on a cold night in.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 3 to 4 sweet apples such as Braeburn or Gala; peeled cored and sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cinnamon depending on preference
- Caramel Sauce
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter softened
- Ice cream or whipped cream for serving
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Prepare topping by combining the softened butter, rolled oats, brown sugar and salt. I use my hands or two knives. Set aside.
3. Melt the other 1/2 stick unsalted butter in your cast iron skillet. Add the brown sugar and cinnamon and stir to combine. Add the sliced apples and stir until all of the apple slices are coated with the mixture.
4. Turn off the heat.
5. Pour the caramel sauce over the apple mixture. I use the squirt bottle kind. You can leave this step out if you do not like/want caramel in your apple crisp.
6. Sprinkle your topping all over the apple mixture, making sure it's covered evenly.
7. Bake in your 375 degree F oven for 30 minutes, or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown.
8. Serve with ice cream, whipped cream and/ or more caramel sauce if you desire.