Chewy No-Bake Granola Bars
A chewy no-bake granola bar recipe that's better than store bought. You can experiment with the different add-ins and make all kinds of variations.
- 2 cups quick cooking oats or old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cups rice crispy cereal
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut optional
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Add-ins in the picture: 1/4 chocolate chips sprinkles
- Optional add-ins: cranberries peanuts, peanut butter chips, almonds
1. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, rice crispy cereal and shredded coconut. Set aside.
2. In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat. After the butter is melted, add the brown sugar, honey and salt and mix together. Turn the heat up to medium high to get a good roiling boil. Let the mixture boil for 2 1/2 minutes. Keep a close eye on it and make sure it doesn't boil over. Otherwise, don't stir it. Just let it do its thing.
3. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
4. Pour the butter mixture over your dry oats mixture and mix well.
5. If you're adding any kind of chocolate chips or peanut butter chips, let the mixture cool before you add them or else they'll melt. After it's cooled stir in the chips.
6. Spread in a lightly greased 9x13 inch pan. Press down a little so the granola sticks together.
7. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
8. Cut into rectangle shapes. Either place in individual snack baggies or keep in pan.